Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Dublin Tourist




No movie review this week for the simple reason that I didn't go to the cinema. Instead I met up with some American friends who were visiting Ireland and went with them around some of the sights of Dublin.

Its strange how one can live in a city and never really visit it. When I was a kid we used to come to Dublin during the summer holidays to visit cousins and see the city, it was then that I did my tourist stuff. However this weekend made me realize how little of the sights of Dublin I really remembered. For example we visited St Patricks Cathedral where Jonathan Swift is buried and The Door of Reconciliation is on display. (Thats where the phrase "to chance your arm" comes from)


Later on we went out to Dun Laoghaire and onto the east pier. By a coincidence we got there just at sunset. I managed to get some lovely photos though I had to use my little digital handheld, supported on walls and lampposts. The light levels really called for a tripod but some of the photos were acceptable. I may head out there later with a tripod and a film camera and see if I can get some more photos. This summer I must take some time and visit the tourist spots of Dublin.

No comments: