Monday, September 26, 2005

Marty in the Morning

Well Rick and Ruth are now banished and Marty is returned to the pinnacle of power that is 2FM.

In fairness to the man his first morning went smoothly and none of the first morning jitters that previous breakfast show hosts had experienced. However given the fact that he has been doing this since 1979 you would expect him to have it figured out by now.

Unfortunately I didn't really like his show. I know its only the first morning and I could get used to it. His continuous impersonation of Gay Byrne, say what Marty, Gay Byrne I say, does get a little annoying after a while. I couldn't help but get the feeling that RTE have conceded the youth market and are now aiming 2FM at the middle aged market. I know I'm no kid myself but this doesn't appeal to me.

I'm sure that Marty will be a "success". He will probably draw in a similar profile listenership that Gerry Ryan gets, but maybe he will get them listening to 2FM a little earlier in the morning.

As the public broadcaster who gets the license fee, RTE should show more imagination.

No comments: