Monday, November 14, 2005

Childhood memories

RTE has released some new DVDs in time for Christmas. Two will be real stocking fillers for of us around 30 who grew up in two channel land, Bosco and Wanderly Wagon.

I just barely remember the Wanderly Wagon puppets but I do remember being shocked when I heard RTE had recorded over the series because they didn't have enough money to buy new tapes. Probably an Irish urban legend. Some part of my brain was hardwired in early childhood to remember characters like Judge, O'Brien, Crow (?) and Godmother.

Bosco was more insidious and ran for much much longer, though I'm pretty sure there was only about 10 episodes that they just repeated daily for 20 years. I'm pretty sure Bosco is evil just like Bert from Sesame Street.

For the more grown up among us the Haughey documentary from earlier this year has also been released on DVD.

No comments: