Thursday, June 22, 2006

RTE showing Croatia Vs Australia match

RTE showed a bit of intelligence and have switched to the last 20 minutes of Croatia Vs Australia once Brazil got to 3-1 against Japan. The BBC have stuck to their schedule and continue to show the Brazilian match despite the Australia game being far more interesting. Maybe Liam Brady hijacked the control booth, he was vocal in his disgust at RTEs choice of matches last night.

Update: RTE just showed the most exciting 20 minutes of football I have seen in the World Cup so far. End to end with Australia coming from behind to qualify for the next round. Then pin-ball in the Australian penalty area with players heading it back and forward. Two sending offs in the last six minutes, another after the final whistle and one player getting 3 yellow cards. The referee seemed to have lost his way at the end, but it added to the tension as chaos descended all around the pitch. It wasn't beautiful football but it had me on the edge of my seat, though I am supporting Australia since Ireland failed to qualify.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Beeb were simultaneously showing the Australia V Croatia game live on BBC.

Declan said...

Oh? Whenever I flicked over they were showing the Brazil match, maybe I just timed it wrong.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I should clarify. They were showing it on BBC3 over here in London

Declan said...

ah, I see, we have BBC 3 further down the listings but I didnt even realise they were shown games. Thats handy to know.

Anonymous said...

Ah Declan, all that huff and puff.

Personally I prefer watching Brazil and the genious that is Ronaldo. I liked his celebrations, Ditch the sprinting and the sommersaults. a two yard jog and and then come to a stand still with a laid back grin will do it. . .

I'm sure he was eating an ice cream on the way off the pitch. Cool customer

Declan said...

That wasnt icecream, it was a bar of lard. ;-)