Thursday, February 01, 2007

Disenfranchised Part II

After almost being removed from the Register of Electors last year, along with 19,000 other people living in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council area, I decided it would be a good idea to check the register online this evening. It was supposed to have been updated and made official today. Guess what, despite reassurances that people would not be removed I don't seem to be on the register.

At least, I should say, the online search fails to find me. I do suspect that the search is not working at all so I will have to call into the Gardai station to check the official paper based register. It's a bit annoying because it means either I have been removed despite the councils promises, or yet another Government IT project isn't working properly (I'll wait a few weeks before calling it a failure).

I'd recommend that anyone who wants to vote in the next election should check the register, soon.

No comments: