Tuesday, February 20, 2007

PPAI awards in Gallery of Photography

The Press Photographers Association of Ireland award winning photographs for 2006 are now on show in the Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar. I love press photography, I feel it can be one of the truest forms of photography since a photographer covering a breaking news story rarely gets to plan, layout and stage photographs as they can in a studio. Sure some amount of staging does take place and Photoshop is a wonderful tool, but I still get absorbed by press photographs. There were a several photographs from the Dublin riots, an interesting and I thought telling one from Charlie Haugheys funeral, a cringe worthy photograph of a horse with a broken leg and a compulsory collection from the Ryder Cup.

I went to the opening tonight and heard a couple of the photographers give brief thank you speeches, they don't seem to like being the center of attention. The gallery was as full as I've ever seen it, and I didn't stick around long as I had to rush up to Dundrum before the shops closed. Even though I picked up a copy of the catalogue I'll probably go have another, more relaxed look around the exhibit at the weekend. Initially I think looking at both catalogues last years photographs were a bit better but this exhibit is well worth seeing.

On a related note, the World Press Photo award winners 2006 are also online.

No comments: